Tuesday, July 11, 2017

The Sequel Word

HOLY FUCKBALLS, THE L WORD IS COMING BACK. Yes, “The L Word” is being revived. I know, I know – we’ve all talked about it and dreamed about it and dreaded it and everything in between since the show went off the air eight years ago. But Showtime has now officially announced that they’re moving forward with a sequel that would start a few of the original cast (Jennifer Beals, Kate Moennig and Leisha Hailey, specifically) and have a new, as-yet-unnamed showrunner (Chaiken will executive produce, but not be hands on because of “Empire” … note to self, send “Empire” a muffin basket). So this isn’t theoretical, this is real life.

I have a lot (LIKE A LOT) of thoughts on this. You can read a lot of them in a guest column over at The Hollywood Reporter right now. But primarily what I want to say is this is CRAZYPANTS. And, dream big lesbians, because apparently anything can fucking happen.

p.s. Now that I have had half a second to process, give me your wish list. Who should be showrunner? What do you want to see? Good news, Jenny is still dead! (I think.)

9 comments:

Alex said...

I don't know how to feel about this.

I hope most of the characters come back and, more importantly, I hope it's good!

PS. Did you check out Naomi Watt's Gypsy on Netflix? It's hot!

Anonymous said...

Gal Godat as showrunner. Some Lena Heady in there, some Rachel Evan Woods. No to transgender women to men. I despised that story line.

Aud said...

Dana's lesbian identical twin comes out and plays professional golf for the Lesbian Professional Golf Association. And this would still be a more realistic and fun plot than 90% of all previous plots...

Annie Stinkle said...

I liked The L Word best when it was the group of friends, gathered 'round a table, and talking. Those were usually the funniest parts, and they showed that sense of community/friendship (see also the van ride to Dinah Shore scene). It went off the rails when it got involved in wacky individual plotlines.

Carmen SanDiego said...

Kristen Stewart and/or Evan Rachel Wood for the part of Shane 2.0
Samira Wiley and Sara Ramirez would be perfect for a role in this. And I agree with anonymous above about nixing the trans storyline
I'm cool with anything else, I'm just so happy it's back. I'm already planning to throw a watch party.
Plus The recaps will be glorious

Anonymous said...

I'd rather see new content than a reboot. Surely she could have developed something new?

Alex said...

Please tv gods and all the powers that be, please make either Jenji Kohan or Jill Solloway as TLW's 2.0 new showrunner. I know it sounds like a pipe dream because they're both busy with their respective tv series, but dammit I want absolutely credible and highly-respected people (preferably women writers/producers/directors) to be responsible for one of the most iconic lesbian tv series. And please. please, please for the love of Dana and Mr. Piddles, I hope the new showrunner would have the smarts to invite Jodie Foster to direct some or most of the episodes. And have the President of the lesbians, Ellen De Generes herself, to guest-star in a number of episodes. Now I'm hoping they ask Dylan to come back, too. As for the new theme song, Tegan and Sara maybe?

AK said...

L word: the Shane years

5years later & Dana wakes up from a bad dream about cancer.....

Alice, Carmen & Tasha live together as spouses

Bette & Tina are house flippers (ok any excuse for overalls with sports bras)




Anonymous said...

Read your Hollywood Reporter column. Agree with almost all of it except the fact that this show needs to represent EVERY LESBIAN, BI, TRANS PERSON THAT HAS EVER EXISTED EVER!! (the caps are my sarcasm font). Why? Why is it that a "straight" show can have any ethnic group, any situation (married, divorced, young, old, rich poor) but the new L Word needs to address the LGBTQ community EVERYWHERE? Let's not put that pressure on the reboot. Good storylines, believable characters, quality writing and, please NO BETTY. I'd be happy with that.