Friday, February 15, 2013

My Weekend Crush

So finally, finally, finally I had a chance to watch that Swedish import “Kyss Mig.” I’ve wanted to see if forever but a combination of happenstance and limited releases and a little laziness kept me from it until a few weeks ago. I had, despite my tardy viewing, I had diligently declined to read reviews. Because spoilers (Darth Vader is Luke’s father, They were on Earth all along, Soylent Green is people) are the worst. So it was with an open mind and an anxious heart I pressed play. And, to my great relief, what I saw was lovely. Simply lovely.

Certainly the story is nothing terribly new. Two women meet (in this case soon-to-be grown-up stepsisters – OK, that part is a little new) and fall in love. One woman is engaged to a man. Another is an out lesbian. I could make a cheap it’s “Imagine Me & IKEA” joke here. But I’m clearly above that. What I will say is while the tale may be familiar, it’s the journey not the destination that really matters. And the journey this pretty little picture takes us on is one of stolen glances and palpable longing. Of expectations and reality. Of being brave enough to want out loud. Of emotions boiling madly beneath a serene surface. The film feels at once languid and intense. The acting, the cinematography, the score. Everything comes together through the eyes of its beautiful leading ladies ((Ruth Vega Fernandez and Liv Mjönes) to be that most pleasant and unexpected of surprises. A good lesbian movie that was definitely worth the wait. Happy weekend, all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is my favorite. I'd write that in caps, but it's a little too classy for that.

Sue said...

Soylent Green is people! Shit! I've been meaning to watch that movie for the past 35 years.

Carla |O| said...

The acting, the cinematography, the score. That, all together, even if the story is no different from many others, is worthy. Glad you liked.

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie too! :)

Will someone explain the spoiler reference, "They were on Earth all along"? Apparently I missed that movie!

Michelle said...

The original Planet of the Apes. You're welcome!! and Sorry!! :)

saudade said...

Yep, this is a really nice movie :) Natural and honest in my opinion.

And BTW - I can't wait when you'll write about the newest GLEE...:D

Anonymous said...

Sweden has done some very nice lgbt movies. And I Love the sound of the language which makes reading subtitles enjoyable. I also enjoyed the movie Patrick 1,5. Although there are No lesbian ladies in it, it was still a great touching story.

Anonymous said...

I agree...Patrick 1. 5 was lovely all the way around...another lovely film although no gay girls in there is; " undercurrent" a great and touching film from Italy...about a love story for a ghost...can't say any more....but it is much more than that...thank god we have a great video store on my island run by two gays... but no kiss me yet....

~k said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~k said...

I watched this movie today after reading your post. Thoroughly enjoyed it, thanks for the recommendation!